Saturday, April 9, 2011

April = Autism Awareness Month!

Last Saturday we gathered together with other autism families to launch balloons in honor of our loved ones affected by autism. I personally love gatherings that include other children who have autism. I know that NO ONE is going to look at Isaac like he's a spoiled kid, who is out of control. I know if he happens to have a meltdown we won't be singled out. I love the fact at these types of functions that EVERYONE knows and loves Isaac- just the way he is. Being among other autism families helps me to feel less lonely and lets me know that others are dealing with a lot of the same issues. Although autism comes with a lot of negative traits, one thing for sure- it has brought a lot of amazing people into our lives! As we counted down till the balloon launch, I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. Isaac was so excited to let his balloon go and kept asking "Is it time yet? Is it time yet?" Even with clouds in the sky, Isaac had a great time. Everyone launched their balloons and blue filled the sky. Afterwards we enjoyed treats and visited with our friends. Isaac had no idea that we were honoring him last Saturday. He has no idea that he is even different. I am so thankful for that. He lives his life the way everyone should. He enjoys the here and now and never worries about the past or the future. People tell me all the time how lucky Isaac is to have me for his mom, but I think I'm the lucky one...........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a great day for you and a wonderful experience! We need to get together again soon! If you're doing another bake sale, let me know and I would love to donate again! Love you girl!

The Smith Family said...

I love this post. Everyone in life is different, not just Isaac. I think he is amazing and SOOOOOOO lucky to have you as a mother. You are wonderful Barb.